Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Thursday, August 16, 2007

My Baby's Name

In 14 days, I would finally have my baby boy in my arms.

Even before I got pregnant, I already have names on my mind for a boy (or a girl). I never got the chance to do it with my daughter since my mom was the one who thought about Jenna's name. And so when I found out I was pregnant, the first thing I did was start looking for the perfect name from the few specials ones I've picked up already.

And so, after months of choosing, we (I, mostly) decided on the name GAVIN MATEO.

I wanted a name that could easily identify us as the child's parents - a "G" name for Glenn and an "M" name for me (Michelle).

I found it quite difficult to find a proper "G" name that wouldn't sound too geeky or unusual. And my husband hates the thought of naming the baby after him. Then one day, when I was on the bus on my way to pick-up Sophie, the first song that played on my mp3 player was Gavin Degraw's "Follow Through" and I said to myself, "that would be the perfect name for my baby boy". I've always been a fan of Gavin Degraw, when his songs started playing on TV shows.

So I checked the meaning online and in Wikipedia, Gavin is a common given name in Ireland, England, Scotland, and Wales. It is the late medieval form of the name Gawain, which in turn is believed to have originated from the Welsh name Gwalchgwn, meaning "white hawk".

It was easy finding an "M" name, but with a lot of choices, the challenge was looking for the right one that would fit perfectly with Gavin and one that wouldn't sound too common. I started checking on the Italian and Spanish name database online and came across Mateo which sound pretty much in tune with Gavin.

Mateo is the Spanish version of Matthew, which translated from Hebrew means "gift of the lord". Coincidentally, Mateo and Jenna does have a similarity in definition since the Arabic version of Jenna means "gift from God".

So there goes the history of how my little boy got his name. And it makes me proud that we (I, mostly) took the time to think and decide on what we think is the right name for our boy.



Myspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter Graphics Myspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter Graphics

No comments: