A Few Things I've Noticed About Gavin
Is it just Gavin or do all babies poop on a freshly changed diaper? I mean, a few seconds after a diaper change, that's when he'd start giving me those pouty lips - which indicates that he's about to poop. And what's worse, this routine always happen at around 4am - when I'm all groggy from lack of sleep and too lazy to stand up and change him. I've noticed that eventhough I never tried putting him on a schedule, he poops just about the same time everyday - which is twice a day at 4am and 1pm (and if he poops for a third time, then it would normally happen anytime during the day). He gets restless and fussy everytime he's about to poop, but once he's done with it, he goes to sleep right away - which makes diaper-changing more difficult for me since he hates it when someone disrupts his sleep.
And he eats a lot. Just imagine that I have to wash 12 bottles everyday, and to think he breastfeeds as well. He would literally inhale 4 ounce of milk in one sitting even when he feed every two (or three) hours. The other night, I was trying to give him my breast for milk but he just cried hysterically so being the frustrated mom, I was forced to give him the bottle and he drank everything in just a few minutes - talk about being hungry. That's one of the reason's why I'd rather pump milk than nurse him since he'd rather drink in the bottle. Well, as long as he's drinking breastmilk, it doesn't really matter to me if he takes it through the bottle - at least no more sore nipples for me.
Not like other babies, he doesn't cry when he's wet or when he's done pooping (actually the only time he cries is when he's taking a bath or when he's hungry - during which he cries like he's being tortured). So I make it a point to check on his diaper every two hours at least since I'm trying to prevent him from having a diaper rash. There are times when I forget to change his diaper and he'd be all wet but he'll just sleep through it so I'd end up waking him up just to change him - which annoys him a lot.
Noise doesn't bother him when he's asleep, be it the sound of the subway train, the police sirens, the television or Sophie screaming. My sister and I can talk and laugh infront of him without waking him up. I do know that he can hear since before we left the hospital, I was informed that he passed the hearing test. And I've noticed that the simplest yet sudden clamor - like the remote dropping on the floor or doors closing rattles him up - biglang nagugulat. My voice is the only sound that calms him down - neither baby music nor lullabies can have that same effect. He would actually stop crying once he hears me call his name (or whatever term of endearment I would think of).
Despite being such a good baby, he tends to be wide awake in the wee hours of the night and very much asleep during the day. His pedia said that it's normal for newborns to not follow the normal sleeping routine and would eventually change by his 3rd months (or so). But I've been praying for sometime now for him to start sleeping like any normal human being. I'm starting to get dark circles around my eyes. My little vampire's slowly sucking the life out of me due to sleep deprivation. There are days when I'd wake him up in the afternoon just so he'd be asleep at night but it's quite fruitless to do so when I feel guilty bothering him while he's asleep. Now, I would prep myself for bed as early as 9pm so that I'd have enough shut eye by the time he wakes up (and starts bothering me) at around 2am - and he would stay awake until 7am. And it's really hard to sleep in the morning - now I know how call center agents feel like after their shift is over - given that I still have other things to do besides taking care of him (such as household chores and eating/taking a shower/anything that has to do with taking care of myself). Everyday, I keep dreading those 5 hours of sheer torment wherein all I could think of is closing my eyes but couldn't since Gavin either wants to be held or wants to feed or just wants my attention for whatever reason. I do love Gavin with all my heart but I do have my limitations and I can't wait for him to turn 3 months so that our nightly rituals would be over - or be less frequent.
Gavin's less than a month old (20 days to be exact) and yet he's such a predictable baby, which makes taking care of him easy - even when he seems to be turning my whole schedule upside-down. Gavin has his own daily routine from the time he wakes in the morning down to when he needs changing or needs to be fed. It's like everything is synchronized, to every hour of every day. So I kinda know what he needs and when he needs it.
Maybe he's starting to become anal-retentive - like me. Well, it's a possibility since its in the genes. He's my little boy anyway, so kanino pa kaya magmamana?
And he eats a lot. Just imagine that I have to wash 12 bottles everyday, and to think he breastfeeds as well. He would literally inhale 4 ounce of milk in one sitting even when he feed every two (or three) hours. The other night, I was trying to give him my breast for milk but he just cried hysterically so being the frustrated mom, I was forced to give him the bottle and he drank everything in just a few minutes - talk about being hungry. That's one of the reason's why I'd rather pump milk than nurse him since he'd rather drink in the bottle. Well, as long as he's drinking breastmilk, it doesn't really matter to me if he takes it through the bottle - at least no more sore nipples for me.
Not like other babies, he doesn't cry when he's wet or when he's done pooping (actually the only time he cries is when he's taking a bath or when he's hungry - during which he cries like he's being tortured). So I make it a point to check on his diaper every two hours at least since I'm trying to prevent him from having a diaper rash. There are times when I forget to change his diaper and he'd be all wet but he'll just sleep through it so I'd end up waking him up just to change him - which annoys him a lot.
Noise doesn't bother him when he's asleep, be it the sound of the subway train, the police sirens, the television or Sophie screaming. My sister and I can talk and laugh infront of him without waking him up. I do know that he can hear since before we left the hospital, I was informed that he passed the hearing test. And I've noticed that the simplest yet sudden clamor - like the remote dropping on the floor or doors closing rattles him up - biglang nagugulat. My voice is the only sound that calms him down - neither baby music nor lullabies can have that same effect. He would actually stop crying once he hears me call his name (or whatever term of endearment I would think of).
Despite being such a good baby, he tends to be wide awake in the wee hours of the night and very much asleep during the day. His pedia said that it's normal for newborns to not follow the normal sleeping routine and would eventually change by his 3rd months (or so). But I've been praying for sometime now for him to start sleeping like any normal human being. I'm starting to get dark circles around my eyes. My little vampire's slowly sucking the life out of me due to sleep deprivation. There are days when I'd wake him up in the afternoon just so he'd be asleep at night but it's quite fruitless to do so when I feel guilty bothering him while he's asleep. Now, I would prep myself for bed as early as 9pm so that I'd have enough shut eye by the time he wakes up (and starts bothering me) at around 2am - and he would stay awake until 7am. And it's really hard to sleep in the morning - now I know how call center agents feel like after their shift is over - given that I still have other things to do besides taking care of him (such as household chores and eating/taking a shower/anything that has to do with taking care of myself). Everyday, I keep dreading those 5 hours of sheer torment wherein all I could think of is closing my eyes but couldn't since Gavin either wants to be held or wants to feed or just wants my attention for whatever reason. I do love Gavin with all my heart but I do have my limitations and I can't wait for him to turn 3 months so that our nightly rituals would be over - or be less frequent.
Gavin's less than a month old (20 days to be exact) and yet he's such a predictable baby, which makes taking care of him easy - even when he seems to be turning my whole schedule upside-down. Gavin has his own daily routine from the time he wakes in the morning down to when he needs changing or needs to be fed. It's like everything is synchronized, to every hour of every day. So I kinda know what he needs and when he needs it.
Maybe he's starting to become anal-retentive - like me. Well, it's a possibility since its in the genes. He's my little boy anyway, so kanino pa kaya magmamana?







No comments:
Post a Comment