Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Monday, January 7, 2008

Gavin's Recent Well-Baby Appointment

Last Friday, Gavin and I went to the doctor for his well-baby and immunization appointment. Sophie tag along since I was in-charge of picking her up that day and I didn't want to run back and forth just to get her on time. I had to leave work early as well just so I wouldn't miss the appointment. I actually had to reschedule it for a Friday so that I would only have to miss two hours from work.

At four months, Gavin now weighs almost 16 pounds and is 26 inches long. The doctor said he's such a active baby, moving around and smiling a lot. He kept kicking the doctor while she was examining him and even drooled on her hand when she was checking his ears and throat. He had his second dose of vaccination and although he cried after each injection (he had 4), the nurse was able to calm him down right away with some toys for him to play with.

Unfortunately, Gavin acquired something from me that I wish he didn't. The doctor said that Gavin has the early signs of asthma. He's got the wheezing sound when he breathes and he even has the dry patches on his body which indicates skin asthma. And since he started eating, the doctor advised me not to give him anything with peanuts, chicken or egg until he's about a year old. For his skin maintenance, I have to continue applying Vaseline on the dry spots and only give him baths twice a week. Good thing he smells good all the time now that he can't have a bubble bath every other day like before.

Although he doesn't have any breathing problems at the moment, I feel so guilty for passing on to him something that might hinder him from having an active childhood. Despite all the medications to control asthma, there is still that slight possibility that this might stop him from doing things that he might want to do in the future. I know it's too early to predict such things since his asthma could simply go away once he's older. But still, I hate to think of what could happen if it didn't.

The doctor assured me that Gavin's a healthy baby despite finding out about his asthma. He's not showing any signs of struggled breathing and he's growing right on track. He's actually 60% above average with regards to his weight and height. Anyway, he'll have to go back in two months for another well-baby visit. He's a strong boy and I know that this is just another phase he'll grow out eventually.



Myspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter Graphics Myspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter GraphicsMyspace Glitter Graphics, MySpace Graphics, Glitter Graphics

No comments: